MINDFULNESS IN MINUTES: SUMMER
July 10 – 12, 2020
Learn simple techniques that can be used anywhere and anytime to bring the benefits of mindfulness into your life—right now! Throughout the weekend, join Dr. Nina Smiley author of The Three Minute Meditator and Mindfulness in Nature, to discover how you can change your life one moment at a time. Learn how to use mindfulness meditation to address many aspects of your life as you reduce stress and support your optimal well-being. Understanding how to work more skillfully with thoughts, emotions, and events in real life and real time can make a real difference. Nina offers an opportunity to explore mindfulness for real people in real lives – when you really need it. Attend any or all of the program events —the choice is yours!
The spectacular natural environment surrounding Mohonk Mountain House—miles of forest trails in a timeless setting—offers a remarkable opportunity to bring mindfulness outdoors… Enjoy mindfulness in motion as summer embraces our mountaintop!
Availability is limited. For reservations, please call .
SAMPLE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Mindfulness in Minutes
Meditation is sometimes seen as something you have to do “outside” of real life – in a perfect setting, surrounded by silence, for an uninterrupted block of time. Carving time out can be a challenge in the midst of hectic days, when you may be on-the-road or on-the-run, caught up in meetings, busy with family, and dealing with… whatever! But these are exactly the moments when we can most use the benefits of mindfulness and Nina offers an approach that makes mindfulness accessible in everyday life to enhance well-being. Nina will guide you through some simple techniques and then we’ll discuss how to bring these remarkable skills into your life – right now!
Festival of the Arts: Jazz Vespers with the Pete Malinverni Trio
Peter Malinverni, head of Jazz Studies at Purchase College, believes that music has the power to uplift and transform. Join us for a short talk and workshop before the concert. Come with your spirit ready to soar!
Mindfulness in Minutes – Part 1
When meditation is seen as something you have to do “outside” of real life – find the perfect setting, be surrounded by silence, and spend a required amount of time on a daily practice – the desire to pursue this can be overtaken by the reality of daily life. In the midst of hectic days, you may be on-the-road or on-the-run, caught up in meetings, busy with family, and dealing with… whatever! But these are exactly the moments when we can most use the benefits of mindfulness. Nina offers an approach that makes mindfulness accessible to real people in real lives when they really need it. In this session, Nina will guide you through some simple techniques that will help your brain begin to form a new habit – what if you could learn to watch the mind, instead of going with its storyline? Rather than reacting-and-regretting, what if you could learn to respond more skillfully in the moment? Learn more about how to bring it into your life!
Mindfulness in Minutes – Part 2
Building on our first Mindfulness in Minutes session, Part 2 with Nina will bring an opportunity to learn how to use these skills in the nitty-gritty moments of your life. For example, insomnia – is anyone In Search of A Good Night’s Sleep? Minds can be very active – especially at three in the morning. Learn how to use mindfulness to set the stage for sleep. What about Relationships That Really Work? Throughout the day, we’re constantly interacting with other people—family, friends, colleagues… Discover how a mindful approach to relationships can lead to more skillful interactions at home and at work. Instead of thinking “I wish I hadn’t said that” learn to change “that” behavior. Nina will also focus on your most important relationship – with yourself. There will be time to talk about Never Diet Again – a mindful take on weight loss and wellness… And we’ll look at suggestions on relating to pain as a “habit” and exploring a different way of working with it. You’ll leave this session with an understanding of mindfulness that empowers you to bring it into your life and use it to enhance well-being, one moment at a time!
Saturday Afternoon – Time on Your Own!
Enjoy the spectacular outdoor setting of Mohonk Mountain House, take a swim in our indoor heated pool, delight in a spa treatment, take a boat out on the lake…or do anything else you choose…mindfully, of course!
“Forest Bathing”: Mindfulness In Nature
The term “forest bathing” or “shinrin-yoku” has been used in Japanese writings and research to describe the sense of well-being that comes from being outdoors immersed in nature. This Mindfulness in Nature walk with Nina guides you through wooded trails, alongside timeless cliffs and our crystal-clear lake. Embrace your senses with this unique walk before you enjoy lunch!
MEET OUR PROGRAM LEADERS
Nina Smiley, Ph.D.
Director of Mindfulness Programming
Nina Smiley, Ph.D. graduated from Vassar College and earned a doctoral degree in psychology from Princeton University. She is co-author of The Three Minute Meditator, now in its fifth edition, and Mindfulness in Nature (2017), along with the CD Mini-Meditations That Will Enhance Your Life. Nina taught psychology at the University of Maryland and worked at the American Psychological Association. She has studied mindfulness with Jack Kornfield (founder of Spirit Rock Meditation Center), Sharon Salzberg (co-founder of Insight Meditation Society), and others. Nina’s work has been featured in The New York Times, Real Simple, Shape, Prevention, and O, the Oprah Magazine. She delights in sharing insights about mindfulness meditation and well-being.
Availability is limited. For reservations, please call .
When you visit for Mindfulness in Minutes, your overnight package includes:
- Breakfast: Breakfast Buffet with made-to-order omelets, our famous mini-waffles, and more in our grand Main Dining Room; or Continental Breakfast in the historic Lake Lounge
- Brunch: Brunch Buffet
- Lunch: Outdoor barbecue at The Granary
- Dinner: Surrey Fine Dining, Modern American Menu, or outdoor barbecue at The Granary
- Afternoon tea and cookies in our historic Lake Lounge
- Complimentary daily Kids’ Club drop-off program
- Nightly evening entertainment, special events, and more! See schedule of activities >
- Guided House History Tour of our National Historic Landmark resort
- Yoga, Meditation, and Fitness classes
- Visit our Greenhouse and Barn Museum
- Strolling through the Victorian show garden
- Indoor heated pool with underwater music
- Access to more than 85 miles of scenic hiking trails
- Boating, fishing, and swimming on Lake Mohonk
- Guided nature hikes with stunning views of the Catskill Mountains
- Rock scambling our iconic Labyrinth and Lemon Squeeze trail
- Guided archery, and tomahawk throwing sessions
- Complimentary court time on our Har-Tru and red clay tennis courts
- Complimentary greens fees on our historic 9- hole golf course
À la carte experiences available to overnight guests:
- A full menu of nature-inspired treatments at our award-winning spa
- The Carriage Lounge, featuring a full bar and handcrafted cocktails as well as hyper local draft beer and hard cider
- An award-winning wine list in our dining venues
- In-room dining
- Horseback riding, pony rides and scenic carriage rides
- Guided rock climbing with Apline Endeavors
- Private fitness, yoga, meditation, and mindfulness sessions
- Private tennis lessons, golf lessons, archery lessons and tomahawk throwing lessons with our pros
- Mountain bike rental to explore our single track trails
- Fishing pole rental, and bait for purchase
- Disc golf discs available for purchase (weather permitting)
See full list of what’s included in your stay!