By: Steve Anson, Executive Sous Chef, Mohonk Mountain House
We all know the real winner of the Super Bowl is delicious food. This year, try making these appetizers that will win at the party! It’s the perfect time to try a new instant classic or choose a healthy twist on an old favorite.
We have two mouth-watering dishes to make watching the big game, the Puppy Bowl, or the commercials, even more fun: Herbed Roasted Chicken Wings and Spicy Avocado Fries with Cilantro Cream. Share your photos using #mohonkmountainhouse. Enjoy!
Spicy Avocado Fries with Cilantro Cream
Ingredients – Spicy Avocado Fries
- 4 ripe avocados, peeled and cut 1 inch lengthwise
- Juice from one lime
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups flour and cornmeal mix
- ½ cup oil for frying or in a deep fryer
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Add fresh lime juice to avocado and toss.
- Mix chili powder with flour/cornmeal mixture, coat avocado making sure to remove excess flour mixture.
- Fry at 350 degrees in fryer for five minutes or until golden brown, or on the stovetop in a sauté pan (heat oil on medium heat and fry avocado for two minutes on each side).
- Remove from oil, place on paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with cilantro cream and fresh lime wedge.
Ingredients – Cilantro Cream
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend.
Herbed Roasted Chicken Wings
- 4lbs chicken wings
- ¼ cup thyme chopped
- ¼ cup rosemary chopped
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ¼ cup oregano chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all the ingredients except chicken in a bowl and mix well, taste to make sure seasoning is good.
- Add chicken to marinade and coat well, transfer into a seal container and let it marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove chicken wings from marinade, place in pan and roast for 20 minutes or until fully cooked, making sure to turn occasionally.
- Serve with your favorite condiment.
Want more recipes? Click here for more ideas from Mohonk Mountain House!