Having trouble planning your next family holiday? Everyone has their own view of what the ideal vacation is. Honestly, it can be a pain to get the family together to decide on where the next destination should be. There are so many factors to consider: International? Domestic? Adventurous? Chill? Disneyland? Rome?
Sometimes it feels like it would be easier to throw a dart at the map blindfolded. For parents, a lot depends on the ages of their children and what makes them happy. With Spring Break around the corner and summer following right behind, families need to start thinking about this now to save on the stress of last minute planning. Here are some tips for parents who want the perfect family getaway!
- Set the date further in the future. Trips that are put together well in advance allow everyone in the family time to adjust their schedules accordingly and communicate more about what they want. Mark it on the calendar and put up a countdown! Share in the excitement of looking forward to something together.
- Let the kids decide. Grown-ups don’t have to make all of the decisions. Including your children in the planning process makes them feel like the trip is for them too. But even if you are done with amusement parks, you can still add elements to the trip for the kids. Why go to a man-made amusement park when you can take advantage of nature’s playground? Going to the beach may not be like going to a water park, but boogie boarding, sand castles, and collecting seashells are enjoyable for both adults and kids.
- Make the vacation fun and original. Don’t take the same trips over and over again. Sometimes when we try to recreate certain trips, we end up feeling disappointed. Times change, kids grow up, and the once highly anticipated destination lacks the same excitement.
- Discover new things. Tour through the Louvre Museum and take a selfie with the Mona Lisa. Excite your tastebuds with new dishes in Thailand. Backpack through the jungles of the rainforest. Pet a wild elephant on a safari. These kinds of educational adventures help the family lean on each other as they brave language barriers, exotic foods, and experience new cultures. It’s the humorous and eccentric moments are the ones that will never be forgotten.
- However, it doesn’t matter really where you go, as long as you do it together.
- An average family road trip can be an amazing experience as well. The journey is just as important as the destination. Younger children and teens can become bored very easily and you don’t want your trip to start off dull. Keep the kids engaged! Since there is time to kill, come up with creative ways to learn more about each other. This is easier than it seems if you put together a few enjoyable road trip games. Just make it more challenging than “I Spy” for the bigger kids.
- Of course, parents need time to relax too. Meeting in the middle can be a challenge when planning an active trip for the kids and needing a break for mom and dad. That’s why there are many places that put into consideration the perfect family friendly getaways.
Mohonk Mountain House has been a key location for families to visit for decades! Here families have their vacation already planned for fun and excitement. Enjoy nature like never before on our mountaintop by climbing through our many rock scrambles and hiking over 85 miles of scenic trails. Cool off at our beach where you can swim, or boat and fish in our pristine glacial lake. Horseback ride through the forest preserve. Stroll around our Victorian Show Garden during our Tulip Festival. While parents are relaxing in our indoor heated pool with underwater music or getting massages at our award-winning spa, their kids can have fun with others their own age at Kids’ Club. There is never a dull day at Kids’ Club where the little explorers learn more about Mohonk’s unique environment with counselors and naturalists, as well as play games or create an art project to take home. And there are always shows and events for the whole family to enjoy every night.
Come to Mohonk Mountain House this year for our Spring Break: Kids Stay & Eat Free, or join us for the summer as your next family destination—there’s something to experience for everyone!