March 1 – 3, 2019
In the 1970s, Mohonk Mountain House was the birthplace of Mystery Weekends. Join us to watch a mystery unfold before your eyes! Performers from Murder Café act out each scene in front of you, and it’s up to you and your team to solve the crime. Highlights also include a dance party and reception, an original puzzle hunt by Greg Pliska, an escape room, and more!
The 1940s mysteriously come to life in glorious black and white. Hardboiled detective Archie Morgan enters Café Malta searching for an escaped con. He discovers Waldo de Winter, the café owner, was murdered and his widow wants Archie to solve the crime. Laura, the café’s loveable songbird and Chandler the secretive new bartender have a lot to hide. The other suspects include scheming Doctor Grimaldi and his ruthless sidekick Trigger Dolan, both of whom are searching for the missing MacGuffin Manuscript once owned by Waldo. Enter Queen Farona, an exotic dancer who was Waldo’s last lover and Private Bob Ford, a young soldier with amnesia. In order to find the guilty party Archie might need your help weeding through this group of shady suspects!
Please note: This year you can participate on a team or as an individual or couple. If you are on a team you will be eligible to win a prize in the team performance on Sunday, otherwise all other contests (the written solutions to the Mystery, the Greg Pliska puzzle hunt, and the fastest time out of the Escape Room) are open to all guests that are part of the program. Costumes are encouraged as a way to add to the fun, but are not required. All prizes and winners will be revealed on Sunday. If you wish to eat meals with your Team please sign up in advance.
Availability is limited. For reservations, please call .
MYSTERY WEEKEND CLUES
What to do and how to get around
- Sign-up at the Registration Table on the Ground Floor across from the Central Stairs on Friday from 4pm – 5:30pm
- We recommend making dinner reservations prior to 7pm to make the first event at 8:45pm
- If you don’t make it to the opening event on Friday, do not fret. At the Saturday morning event there will be a printed recap of the show.
- Be on the lookout: you never know when a mysterious stranger may deliver your puzzle hunt packet.
- On Saturday the Mystery will continue to unfold at 10am and 5pm so don’t miss these events!
- Each team can present a creative solution on Sunday morning for a chance to win prizes. They will have five minutes to perform their presentation with teams called at random. Prizes are given in two categories: “most accurate” and “most creative” solutions. Props, costumes, and any other accents should be brought by participants.
- The Mystery play can be solved individually and sheets should be submitted by 10am on Sunday.
- There will also be prizes for the team or person who gets free from the Escape Room with the fastest time. Also, Greg Pliska will award prizes for the winners who solve his original puzzle packet.
- Use your imagination for any other props, costumes or supplies you might need to break the case.
This program is not recommended for children under age 12. Parental guidance is suggested. There is a $30 per person program fee for participation in the Mystery Weekend program.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS: COMING SOON
Please check back for an updated schedule 3 months prior to the event.
Preview last year’s schedule:
Team Registration in the Lake Lounge
Afternoon Tea and Cookies
There’s something suspicious in the air! Register on a team from 4pm to 5:30pm, and begin to plan your strategy to pursue potential suspects.
The Mystery begins! Act 1
A radio bulletin announced Mad Dog Dobbs has escaped from Sing Sing. Could he be one of the patrons at the Café Malta? We enter Lady de Winter’s dark club and meet detective Archie Morgan who’s on hand to find her husband’s killer. We’re introduced to assorted characters including Bob Ford, a soldier with amnesia. All he has is a note leading him to Café Malta.
Party Time! Dance and Reception
How is your footwork? Try to maintain that smile even though there is a killer (or killers) on the loose. Let’s hope there are no unsavory gate-crashers who try to turn the tables. Music provided by a DJ from JTD Productions. Cash bar available.
Be Sure to Lock Your Doors
Who knows who might be lurking in the hallway…
Headless Horsemen Escape Rooms
Headless Horsemen Escape Rooms are standalone events that will be held repeatedly throughout the day. The escape rooms are not part of the rest of our mystery story, but guests must be a part of the Mystery Program to participate. Sign-up is required, please call .
You and your team work for a secret government agency commissioned to protect the United States from catastrophic disaster. Intelligence has located a secret nuclear missile silo controlled by North Korea here on our own soil! Your team has been sent in to assess the situation and save all of us from certain doom. You must act quickly because the missile has been remotely activated. Your team must disable it to save the world.
As the world braces for a new superpower nuclear arms race, something less flashy keeps a black ops team awake at night, The Bio Weapon. The prospect of a germ warfare device in the hands of a home grown terrorist is real. You and your team have been ordered to a remote location where the biological material has been detected. The stakes are high. You must dispose of this material or large-scale deaths and poisoning will occur.
The Mystery continues: Act 2
Exotic dancer Queen Farona enters Café Malta and entertains before she’s confronted by scheming Doctor Grimaldi and ruthless Trigger Dolan. They’re searching for the MacGuffin Manuscript and they’re not taking any excuses.
The Mystery continues: Act 3
Gun shots are heard from the kitchen. Doctor Grimaldi makes a play for Lady de Winter. What is he up to? Archie has five suspects including Laura, the café’s singer, and Chandler, the shady bartender. Whodunit? Archie conducts an interrogation and it’s your turn to tell him what you know.
Dance if You Dare!
Join your teammates and enjoy the Bernstein Bard Quartet as they help you swing and sway to sounds from the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Cash bar available.
Team Solutions Presented
Illuminate, entertain, and maybe even show up your competition as you and your teammates act out your solution. Be creative, be bold, and be imaginative.
Mystery Solved! Act 4
Archie Morgan, our hardboiled private detective, lays out his case in front of the suspects and the murderer is announced. After, the winners of all the contests will be revealed and prizes awarded.
Murder Café, our Program Host for the weekend, brings theater directly to you with an extraordinary mix of skill and talent. A professional repertory company since 1998, Murder Café delivers original scripts, period costumes, one-of-a-kind production design, and marketing and publicity skills that ensure each event’s success. Their public shows are scheduled year-round throughout New York’s Hudson Valley, along with fundraising events, company parties, country club dinners, banquets, and casino entertainment.
Composer and musician Greg Pliska has been solving and creating puzzles since he could read. He is a puzzle writer and presenter for public radio’s “Ask Me Another,” and he now creates puzzle hunts for corporate and academic clients. His composing work includes the Broadway play Sylvia and acclaimed productions for New York’s Shakespeare in the Park. His recent work includes orchestrations for the film The Infiltrator, the CBS Evening News theme, and the new IMAX theme. Greg has created an original puzzle treasure hunt for Will Shortz’s Wonderful World of Words at Mohonk Mountain House for the last 10 years and brings a new mystery puzzle to the Mountain House for Mystery Weekend’s 40th anniversary.
JTD Productions is a boutique DJ and events company owned and operated by Dave Leonard. Our DJs love music and want you to have the best party of your life; we know how integral our role is to make that happen. Our style is unobtrusive yet present and we control the flow with the music and not the mic. We honor your unique tastes; we’re hip without being esoteric and accessible without being cheesy.
Availability is limited. For reservations, please call .
When you visit for Mystery Weekend, your overnight package includes:
- Three meals daily featuring fresh, locally sourced cuisine from our farm-to-table partners
- Access to more than 85 miles of the Hudson Valley’s best hiking trails
- Boating, fishing, and swimming on Lake Mohonk
- Daily Guided “House History” Tours of our National Historic Landmark resort
- Guided Nature Hikes with stunning views of the Catskill Mountains
- Yoga, Meditation, and Fitness Classes
- Indoor Heated Pool with underwater music
- Afternoon tea and cookies in our historic Lake Lounge
- Nightly Evening Entertainment
- Special Events and more! See schedule of activities >
A la carte experiences available to overnight guests:
- A full menu of nature-inspired treatments at our award-winning spa
- The Carriage Lounge, featuring a full bar and handcrafted cocktails as well as hyperlocal draft beer and hard cider
- An award-winning wine list in our Main Dining Room