March 5 – 7, 2021
In the 1970s, Mohonk Mountain House was the birthplace of Mystery Weekends. Join us to watch a mystery unfold before your eyes! Performers from Murder Café act out each scene in front of you, and it’s up to you and your team to solve the crime. Highlights also include live music from the 1920’s with Miss Maybell and the Jazz Age Artistes, an original puzzle hunt by Greg Pliska, a new Mohonk escape room, and more!
Please Note: This year you can participate on a team, as a couple, or as an individual. If you are on a team you will be eligible to win a prize in the team performance on Sunday, otherwise all other contests (the written solutions to the Mystery, the Greg Pliska puzzle hunt, and the fastest time out of the Escape Room) are open to all guests that are part of the program. Costumes are encouraged as a way to add to the fun, but they are not required. All prizes and winners will be revealed on Sunday. If you wish to eat meals with your Team, reservations are required in advance.
This program is not recommended for children under age 12. Parental guidance is suggested. Rates reflect a 15% discount and include a program fee of $30 per person. This program is only available to overnight guests. Sign-up registration is required.
Mystery Weekend: What To Do & How to Get Around
- Sign-up at the Registration Table on the Ground Floor across from the Central Stairs from 4pm – 5:30pm or see Theme Programs at the 8:45pm event.
- We recommend making dinner reservations prior to 7pm to make the first event by 8:45pm.
- If you don’t make it to the opening event on Friday, do not fret. At the Saturday morning event there will be a printed recap of the show.
- Be on the lookout Friday night – you never know when a mysterious stranger may deliver your puzzle hunt packet.
- On Saturday the Mystery will continue to unfold with live shows at 10am and 5pm so don’t miss these events!
- Each team can presents a creative solution on Sunday morning for a chance to win prizes. They will have five minutes to perform their presentation with teams called at random. Prizes are given in two categories: “most accurate” and “most creative” solutions. Props, costumes, and any other accents should be brought by participants.
- The Mystery play can be solved individually and sheets should be submitted by 10am on Sunday.
- There will also be prizes for the team or person who gets free from the Escape Room with the fastest time. Greg Pliska will also award prizes for the winners who solve his original puzzle packet.
- Use your imagination for any other props, costumes or supplies you might need to break the case.
Book now to save 15% on this exclusive event!
Availability is limited. For reservations, please call .
SAMPLES SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Team Registration in the Lake Lounge
Afternoon Tea and Cookies
There’s something suspicious in the air! Began your snooping with a hot cup of Mohonk tea and cookies.
Murder by Magic: Act 1
Take a peek backstage as the performers scheduled to appear in the Masters of Magic and Merriment vaudeville show prepare for their acts. Here you will began to learn about this interesting and possibly nefarious band of performers. Some may be allies and some may be enemies but watch carefully, you never know when a clue will arrive or even murder.
Miss Maybell and the Jazz Age Artistes
It’s 1927 and Miss Maybell and the Jazz Age Artistes are playing hits from the few last years. Come dressed in your finest as a Dame, Mug, Flapper, Goon, Frail or Sheik. Local bootleggers Yard Owl Brewery will be serving their delicious brews for you to sample and there will be a cash bar available.
Be Sure to Lock Your Doors
Who knows who might be lurking in the hallway?
Sign-up required. This event is held repeatedly throughout the day. This is a standalone event that is not part of the rest of our mystery story but you must be a part of the Mystery Program to participate.
Murder by Magic: Act 2
Phineas is on hand to keep the order as the members of the vaudeville show try to make sense of last night. Even with the mystery spiraling out of control the show must go on. The acts on display this morning include Lord Taylor, a protégé of The Great Merlini, Baby Rose, “the wee wittle wonder” with her timeless little girl act. And for a change of pace Phineas Phibles introduces Madame Klotsky, an infamous medium who is an expert at conjuring the departed.
Murder by Magic: Act 3
The tension is thick between every character as they begin to turn on each other. Watch closely as all the pieces to the puzzle come into play Answer sheets will be provided after the show and answers are due Sunday either in the box across from the Front Desk any time before 9:30am or bring them to the 10am show in the Parlor.
Dance if You Dare!
Miss Maybell & The Jazz Age Artistes play a large repertoire of Jazz and Blues from 1920’s 30’s and 40’s and were recently featured on The NPR Show “Person, Place, Thing” With Randy Cohen. The group is comprised of some of NYC’s best Jazz players. In the trio is Charlie Judkins on piano, Kaia Updike on Violin Miss Maybell on Voice and for this Saturday night dance, a special guest!
Did you solve it correctly?
Your solutions to the Puzzle Hunt and the Mystery show must be submitted by 10am on Sunday. The box will be located across from the Front Desk on the Ground Floor starting Saturday morning until 9:30am on Sunday. Also feel free to bring your completed answers and puzzles to the 10am show in the Parlor.
Team Solutions Presented
Illuminate, entertain, and maybe even show up your competition as you and your teammates act out your solution. Be creative, be bold, and be imaginative. If you weren’t on a team feel free to come and watch an entertaining and fun part of this event.
Mystery Solved! Act 4
As the fingers are pointed, an inspector from town arrives with clues and motives and proceeds to lays out his case in front of the suspects and the murderer is revealed.
After, the winners of all the contests will be revealed and prizes awarded.
Murder Café, our Program Host for the weekend, brings theater directly to you with an extraordinary mix of skill and talent. A professional repertory company since 1998, Murder Café delivers original scripts, period costumes, one-of-a-kind production design, and marketing and publicity skills that ensure each event’s success. Their public shows are scheduled year-round throughout New York’s Hudson Valley, along with fundraising events, company parties, country club dinners, banquets, and casino entertainment.
Composer and musician Greg Pliska has been solving and creating puzzles since he could read. He is a puzzle writer and presenter for public radio’s “Ask Me Another,” and he now creates puzzle hunts for corporate and academic clients. His composing work includes the Broadway play Sylvia and acclaimed productions for New York’s Shakespeare in the Park. His recent work includes orchestrations for the film The Infiltrator, the CBS Evening News theme, and the new IMAX theme. Greg has created an original puzzle treasure hunt for Will Shortz’s Wonderful World of Words at Mohonk Mountain House for the last 13 years and brings a new mystery puzzle to the Mountain House for Mystery Weekend’s 42nd anniversary.
Availability is limited. For reservations, please call .
When you visit for Mystery Weekend, your overnight package includes:
- Breakfast: Breakfast Buffet with made-to-order omelets, our famous mini-waffles, and more in our grand Main Dining Room; or Continental Breakfast in the historic Lake Lounge
- Brunch: Brunch Buffet
- Dinner: Surrey Fine Dining or Modern American Menu
- Afternoon tea and cookies in our historic Lake Lounge
- Complimentary weekend Kids’ Club drop-off program
- Nightly evening entertainment, special events, and more! See schedule of activities >
- Guided House History Tour of our National Historic Landmark resort
- Yoga, Meditation, and Fitness classes
- Visit our Greenhouse and Barn Museum
- Indoor heated pool with underwater music
- Snowshoeing and cross-country skiing on more than 30 miles of groomed trails (weather permitting)
- Winter hiking with MICROspikes® (weather permitting)
- Ice-skating in the open air pavilion
- Guided outdoor activities and hiking with stunning views of the Catskill Mountains (weather permitting)
À la carte experiences available to overnight guests:
- A full menu of nature-inspired treatments at our award-winning spa
- The Carriage Lounge, featuring a full bar and handcrafted cocktails as well as hyper local draft beer and hard cider
- An award-winning wine list in our dining venues
- In-room dining
- Private fitness, yoga, meditation, and mindfulness sessions
- Disc golf discs available for purchase (weather permitting)
See full list of what’s included in your stay!