Restoration at Mohonk Mountain House
Beginning January 2014, Mohonk Mountain House will initiate several restoration projects inside and outside the Mountain House.
We will be renovating 19 guest rooms in the Central Building, including our signature Central Building Tower, built in 1888. From January through mid-May, this project will provide new bathrooms, windows, insulation, and millwork throughout this historic section of the building.
For enhanced energy efficiency, our historic Main Dining Room will have windows replaced with new units, as well as portions of the roof resurfaced during the month of April.
The entrance to our Grove Building, originally constructed in 1893, and its bathrooms on the ground and first floors have been renovated to enhance guest comfort and ease of access.
Our Gift Shop and Soda Fountain will receive new lighting, mid-January to mid-April. Remaining open throughout the project, the Gift Shop area will welcome guests with enhancements completed in time for Valentine’s Day.
Restoration work inside the Mountain House will take place mid-week, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. During this time, the restoration work areas will be surrounded by buffer space to avoid disturbing guests. While scaffolds will be visible during a portion of this time, the work will not affect guests. We appreciate your understanding that these efforts are required to ensure that our Mountain House continues to be “the same, only better” into its 145th year.
Sunset Porch will be repaired this winter (February/March), re-opening to host once again this summer our popular Spirits on the Sunset Porch venue, where guests enjoy a cocktail, wine, or beer while watching the sun set over the Catskill Mountains.
Lake Shore Bridge, the original access point of Victorian guests arriving by horse and carriage, will be replaced with work beginning in April, completed by the end of June.
Sky Top Tower, opened in 1923 as a memorial to the vision of Mohonk’s founder Albert Smiley, will receive extensive renovation of the interior and exterior of its historic structure. Concurrently, the reservoir adjacent to the Tower will be repaired. While access to the Tower itself will be unavailable from mid-April through the end of August, hikers will be able to hike to the base of the Tower to enjoy the vista and the Labyrinth will be open.
Restoration work outside the Mountain House will be complete by the end of August. During restoration, hikers will be able to enjoy our extensive network of trails, including the Sky Top viewpoint. In August, we will look forward, once again, to a view from the “Top” of the Tower and appreciate your understanding that this historic structure has required some work.